Housewives and Housework...1950's style!

The Beginner Housewife

As a matter of research into my book about  fun Wedding Ceremonies ( which is titled How to Have Fun Getting Married, due to be released in 2 weeks) I have undertaken some extensive research into the Marriage game.

Along the journey,  it reminded me of a book I purchased for Ms. SaidByNed when we first moved in together some 15 years ago. The book titled The Beginner Housewife by Phyllis Harker was first published in 1956.

I just must share some of Phyllis' advice.

Phyliss plans out a full day in 15 minute increments, beginning at 6.50am, going to bathroom, brushing hair, apply make-up. Between 7.30 am and 8 a.m Phyliss suggests any bride make up a list of the days work which should include at least the following:

Wash up
Make Beds
Washing ( own undies , blouse etc!)
Ironing
Clean bath & basin
Mop bathroom floor
Stairs
Bedroom
Hall
Mop and dust downstairs ( ! )
Vegetables
Steak
Trifle
Kitchen

8.10am Wash Up.
8.20am Put washing to soak in plain , tepid water.
8.25amMake beds
8.35am Clean Bath & Basin, mop floor
8.50am Brush stairs
9.05am Put undies in warm water soapy water. ( *Does she mean the one's you are wearing?) 
9.10am Prepare vegetables for evening meal     ( * I hope she doesn't mean in the same water as the undies)


the list goes on............


At 12.45 you are allowed luncheon for 30 minutes ( and she tells you what to eat ) 
1.45 Prepare steak
1.50 ironing
2.20 Put prepared steak on over very low gas.
5.45 Set table, put carrots on to cook
6.30 Serve meal ( *We must assume Hubby is home from his 12 hour day, having commuted and negotiated the traffic grid-lock) 


I don't think too many of my modern day brides would tolerate Phyllis' regime, or even last out the day! By 6.30 She would be fast asleep , wearing soggy , soapy undies which Phyllis hasn't advised to retrieve yet and eating vegetables tasting of the same tepid soapy water....accompanied by a leathery steak!

Phyllis does advise to do a last minute dusting, apply make-up then stay out of the way of Hubby when he gets home because he has had a busy, important day ( unlike You, the Bride) and probably won't want to talk to you anyway!

None of the above advice appears in my book "How to Have Fun Getting Married" and I promise never to write any of the suggestions into the Vows at any weddings!

Although I can't help but leave The Beginner Housewife lying around the house and checking later to see if my own Ms.Lovely has tidied up and put it away!   (Ouch, that hurt!!!)

Ned Hoskin
www.WedByNed.com.au

P.S I have had a request from"House Husband "Steve B" who has asked for the full days schedule!! He thought he might learn something to cope with his busy day!  Good luck with that Steve! Full list of chores are above...just get on with it! Cheers























Comments

  1. I was wondering if you still had this book? I have been trying to find it with no luck. Could you please let know
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was not sure how to send you a private message sorry.

      Delete
    2. HI there, yes I do still have the book. Any parts of it you are interested in?

      Delete
    3. The whole thing. That book is a hard to find, and cant not find where I live.

      Delete
    4. I just came here to ask the same thing, although likely ages too late, if you still have the book and are interested in selling it please let me know. iamloved22@yahoo.com

      Delete
    5. Please, scan it and share it :c it's not illegal, it has been more than 50 years since it was published :(

      Delete
  2. Do you still have the book? Would you be willing to sell it? I would love to add it to my collection. I live in a 1947 home and try to furnish it in the items of the era.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love a copy of the daily schedule

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Tram Sandwich

What I Remember of 2017 ( Whenever that was )