THE ‘GIVING AWAY’


I do write quite a lot of Poems for couples for their weddings. Often, the subject of the "Giving Away of the Bride" sparks emotion and sentiment in the reluctant Father of the Bride.  No Father really ever wants to Give his Little Girl away...not really. This thinking sparked the following for a Special couple. 



 THE ‘GIVING AWAY’

At Last you take that walk, down the proverbial aisle,
My little girl with your new idol,
The Little girl who I watched grow up,
Playing netball and eating Chuppa Chups.

When you were born, like a pink toy, I held you,
And over all the years, and many tears,
Through tantrums and the childish fears,
I protected you.

Now on this, your Wedding day,
I am here, they say, To Give away,
My Little Girl.
Into the protection of your Husband,
The Man you promise to Love forever.

And a good Man he is, And I know him well,
I know that his Love for You is like a well,
So deep, so full , so Full of Life,
Today in taking you for his Wife,
He takes that new role, 
of Protector.

Yes, today, I bring you here to Marry,
And my Life long Blessing, Always carry,
I know you both deserve the best,
and yes,
I don’t give my little girl away , 
Exactly

Today, I give this young Woman, to her Man,
To Love and protect, forever, And
As you both grow in Love throughout Life,
Through The Ups and Downs of being Husband and Wife,
Remember, I am here for you anyway

Whatever Life brings, and above everything,
Enjoy the adventure, enjoy your Life,

I hand over now, to the new Husband and Wife.

Ned Hoskin
Wed by Ned
(2011)

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Housewives and Housework...1950's style!

The Tram Sandwich

What I Remember of 2017 ( Whenever that was )